Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Where do we go from here?

Do you know this song from the film version of Evita?
Where do we go from here?
This isn't where we intended to be.


I was shopping at Lush this weekend and admitted to the sales lady that I had gone a little overboard with my splurge. She said something to the effect that it was a good thing that I loved myself and took the time for self-care. I've really thought a lot about this remark this weekend. Last night we invited friends over for pumpkin carving. DH is very fond of the intricate pumpkin patterns! Looking around the table...One of our friends has a serious illness and I got to thinking about how much time she has to devote to self-care just to manage her illness. In contrast we have another friend who is slacking so badly in the self-care department she has literally made herself ill. Her doctor has advised minor lifestyle changes, but she wont put forth the effort. So where do I fit in on the self-care scale?

Sadly, I'm tipping the slacker end. I fight fatigue almost constantly. I eat healthy foods, but I make no time for exercise. I am at the heaviest weight of my lifetime. My doctor says my weight is still healthy but I am unhappy with my figure. I have had to stop wearing some of my favorite clothes. The doctor also tells me that getting in exercise will help the fatigue (she believes it is mostly stress induced) but I can't seem to get moving. By the time I get home from work, I am so drained I just want to veg out.

But the reality is I am letting go of the things I like best and the things that define who I am. I haven't made a layout in two weeks. I've hardly read anything for fun. My garden is in serious need of attention and I can't remember preparing a meal in the last month. I've even had my DH walk the dogs alone because I am feeling so lazy.

So today I am beginning a journey...a journey back to the person I want to be... a journey I want to document in an art journal. I'm excited about creating this journal of inspiration and goals. I'm not sure how to begin! Please share your art journal ideas with me.

Comments:
I know exactly how that goes. I hope that you are able to get back to taking care of you.

Art journal idea: Look through magazines and cut our picture and words that catch your eye and then make a collage in your journal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?