Wednesday, July 26, 2006

 

the Wind


So today's Two Peas blogger challenge is to post about my favorite movie. Hands down my favorite film of all time is the classic Gone With the Wind. I'll never forget "meeting" Scarlett O'Hara. I was in the eighth grade and my mother gave me the book for Christmas. I had one week of holiday vacation and 1000 pages ahead of me. By day three I had decided I would not sleep until I finished it. My Dad found me still reading at 4am. I finished the novel on day four and promptly persuaded my mother to rent the video for me. That night, I introduced my best friend to Scarlett via the small screen. The film lasts well over 3 hours. I didn't care. I didn't want it to ever end. I was officially obsessed.


Over the years, I have collected all things Scarlett. I have dozens of books on the film and it's stars, a number of special editions of the novel, three release versions of the film itself, movie posters and a huge collection of movie stills. Gone With the Wind changed the direction of my life. I began to study historic preservation. On a vacation in Charleston, I found my heart's home. I moved to Charleston at the age of 17. I studied historic preservation in college and took a job with the Preservation Society of Charleston. (Ironically, Charleston is not one of Scarlett's favorite places...she finds a visit there boring and makes fun of Charleston accents!)

The older I get, the more I enjoy Gone With the Wind. I've seen it on the big screen, which is awesome, but I am perfectly content to play the DVD at home. While I do prefer the book, I appreciate everything related to the movie. It has lead me to read the biographies of the stars and I have enjoyed many of their other films.

Gone With the Wind has made a lasting imprint on me. No other film has enthralled me like this one. No other character has meant so much to me as Scarlett. It continues to fascinate and inspire me.

Comments:
I've never actually seen the movie. :gasp: Does that make me un-American?
 
Hey Erin, I read the sequel, but it just didn't seem like the same Scarlett. What did you think of it? That author also wrote a book called On Leaving Charleston, which I highly recommend :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?